Coyne of the Realm Takes a Skeptical Look at Mindfulness — Table of Contents
Coyne of the Realm Takes a Skeptical Look at Mindfulness
1. Mindfulness and me…and you
2. The hype and the hope: What is promised for mindfulness?
3. The varieties of mindfulness: training, treatment, and stress reduction
4. Mindfulness and its critics
Some basics of evaluating evidence
5. What are the best forms of evidence?
6. Observational studies: correlation does not equal causality
7. Evaluating comparisons of treatments
8. Evaluating reviews
9. Who says so? Importance of promoter bias and conflict of interest
Better than what? Evaluating comparisons between mindfulness and its alternatives
10. Typical clinical trials evaluating mindfulness
11. Head to Head: Unusually informative mindfulness trials
12. Some clinical trials for you to evaluate (with hints)
Putting the evidence together: Reviews of mindfulness
13. Is mindfulness training effective for improving well-being and health? A look at two contrasting reviews
14. Other reviews of applications of mindfulness
15. Some reviews for you to evaluate (with hints)
Mindfulness and physical and mental health
16. Mindfulness for preventing and treating depression
17. Mindfulness-based treatments for pain, sleep, and weight loss
18. Mindfulness-based treatments for cancer patients
Mindfulness programs in particular settings
19. Mindfulness training in the schools
20. Mindfulness training and the military
21. Mindfulness’s appeal to corporations
22. Mindfulness on the go: apps
Wrapping it up
23. Can you spot hype, spin, and distortion in the promotion of mindfulness?
24. Mindfulness and its alternatives: how else could you spend your time?
25. Postscript: After looking at the evidence, is mindfulness training for you?